Friday, February 2, 2007

You Can Teach an Old Dog New Tricks

After practicing law in the great State of Texas for the better part of four decades, I have found the main focus of my firm under attack. Zealous tort reformers have made it virtually impossible for anyone who’s been wronged to seek reasonable damages. In the eighties and nineties, Republican judges swarmed the courthouses. Today, they reign supreme on Texas’ top court, thus rendering any lower court’s pro-plaintiff judgment ultimately ineffective. The Bush White House may deem any judge just left of center an “activist judge,” but it was their legions that started that “activist” trend in North Texas by consistently ruling pro-business. The passing of Proposition 12 in 2003, which caps non-economic damages, was the final straw for this plaintiff’s lawyer. It seems today that no matter what the case; it’s practically dead in the water before it ever sees the inside of a courtroom.

This dark environment has given seasoned trial lawyers like me a reason to branch out and dip our toes in the sea of new technology. Thus, I have created this blog. I’ve always been a voice for the little guy in the courtroom fighting back against big business and even bigger insurance companies. Now I’m just making that voice a little louder, sharing it a little more by offering insight and opinion here on Lone Star Litigator.

They say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but this dog will use whatever tricks it takes to stay in the hunt. I’m invigorated by Dallas County voters’ decision to give Democrats a turn in the courthouse. It’ll be a while before the whole state makes that turn back to the left -- even a little bit back to the center might be nice.

For now, I’ve decided to get back to the basics and focus my practice on general law. I plan to keep fighting for the injured, but I will also focus more on helping my clients arm themselves for everyday legal matters with properly prepared wills and business contracts. And, on Lone Star Litigator, I hope to arm visitors with knowledge to help them make more educated legal decisions. Either way, I’ll still be on the side of ordinary Texans, giving them the power to stand up for their legal rights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.